I am pleased to share with you Budget 2018, which is focused on Equality and Growth.
There are many measures that will benefit Canadians right here in Markham-Stouffville, including:
- Introducing the new Canada Workers Benefit, to allow low-income workers to keep more of their paycheque
- Introducing a new EI Parental Sharing Benefit by providing an additional five weeks of benefits when both parents agree to share parental leave
- Creating an Advisory Council on the Implementation of National Pharmacare to explore how to move forward on this important issue
- Building more Rental Housing for Canadian families, supporting projects that address the needs of modest and middle-income households struggling in expensive housing markets like the GTA
- Strengthening Multiculturalism by supporting cross-country consultations on a new national anti-racism approach to combat discrimination
Many of you have expressed your desire for our Government to focus on Reconciliation. Together, Canada and Indigenous Peoples are forging a new relationship, based on recognition of rights, respect, cooperation and partnership. This budget includes many measures to address this including:
- Funding to accelerate construction of new water systems, renovation of existing ones, and training water operators – all towards eliminating all long-term drinking water advisories on public water systems on reserve by March 2021
- Increasing support for First Nations child and family service providers and support prevention, well-being, and family preservation efforts within communities.
Check out the Budget 2018 link to read more highlights or to review the full budget document.